Tuesday, February 23, 2010

READING : City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare


Sixteen-year-old Clary Fray is an ordinary teenager, who likes hanging out in Brooklyn with her friends. But everything changes the night she witnesses a murder, committed by a group of teens armed with medieval weaponry. The murderous group are Shadowhunters, secret warriors dedicated to driving demons out of this dimension and back into their own. Drawn inexorably into a terrifying world, Clary slowly begins to learn the truth about her family - and the battle for the fate of the world.


*SPOILERS AHEAD*

To be completely honest, I didn't really want to read City Of Bones.I bought it because I heard it was good, but I refused to set my mind on reading it.The story didn't sound unique or intriguing at all.When I asked a friend who has read it to tell me her thoughts she said "It was another badly written book that I completely enjoyed".I will agree with that 100%.

You can tell throughout the book that Clare was very much into this book,she was passionate about it, and maybe that's the reason she made so many mistakes, IMO.Whole chunks in the book were not necessary, for example when Simon turned into a rat and then they had to find him and brake into a derelict hotel nested with vamps blah blah and get away with a flying motorcycle.Why?There was no reason for any of that.
Valentine's character didn't work for me, I 'm afraid.I didn't see enough of him and I think what he said and his expressions and all were not at all like I was led to believe throughout the whole book.
Jace was the typical badass hottie that every supernatural Y/A book has.Narcissist but always thinking of others, strong but soft and plays piano :D Nothing I haven't read before.
Characters I did like was Lucian-the narrative chapter where he explains everything to Clary is the best part of the book-Jocelyn, Magnus Bane and Alec.And Church,the cat.
As for Clary, I can't even picture what she looks like.All I know is she has red hair. Weird. Speaking of weird : SIBLINGS????Come on!!!I suspected it was coming but I was sure I'd be proven wrong because I thought that the writer would definitely want the attraction between them to go on.But nooooo!Now it has to be gross each time they meet and talk and remember that they kissed.I don't know how Clare is getting out of that one.Maybe Jace is not Jonathan Christopher and Valentine lied?Ugh, don't know. All I know is that if she wants to turn this whole sister-brother thing around she has to be extremely careful because it could just very easily blow up in her face.
All in all, I had a really nice time reading it and I will definitely read the next 2 installments, but it's a shame thinking that it could be soooo much better.


3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails