Wednesday, September 28, 2011

READING: The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegan

Publication date: September 27th, 2011
Published by: Egmont
Genre: YA Paranormal, Angels
Rating: 3/5
Eligible for Debut Author Challenge 2011
Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?


Mephisto Covenant was not bad per se, but it left me with a "meh" feeling after finishing it. I get that Faegen had a fresh and unique story in her mind, but the execution of it was not the best. She got kinda lost.

Sasha was Anabo, which in Greek means "light". The verb "light", not the noun. So for a Greek girl like me to keep reading Anabo, Anabo, over and over again, it was like "Yes, but what are you lighting??" I know to everyone who isn't Greek it probably sounds weirdly exotic or whatever but to me, it sounded pretty funny. Skia, which is also Greek for "shadow" is a spot on word. But that's hardly Faegen's fault. I just mention it because reading it distracted me at times.

What I didn't like about Mephisto was its characters being so unrealistic. I mean sure, it's fiction you don't expect realistic characters. But the ones in Mephisto were either bad to the bone, violent and simply just mean, or ridiculously good, in the point I actually went "Bitch, please!" when I read Sasha's lines of self-righteousness. There wasn't any other character in the book. A little bit more, I don't know, human. And if there was, they were plain dumb. There was no diversity in character's personalities whatsoever, and that gets a little boring sometimes. I didn't want to root for the good guys because they got in my nerves but bad guys were portrayed so bad, that I had no other choice. Sasha in the book supposedly had free will and was not forced to chose between being Anabo or Mephisto. Unfortunately, readers don't have that luxury.

The love story. Um. I don't know. It was and wasn't believable at the same time. What was believable was that it took the whole book for them to do "THE SEX"! Which of course was a part of a marking thing between Jax and Sasha. Because God forbid two young people have sex just because they feel like it these days *gasps*
What wasn't believable was that Sasha fell for Jax right from the start only to have her memory erased and then fall for him all over again (like she had a choice pffttt).
Speaking of sex, yeah. The sex scene was kinda too descriptive for a YA book. Let me tell you, though. That is the least of this book's problems!

The core of the story was not all bad, but there was so much crap going on, enough to ruin any good idea that might be lurking in the back of Faegen's mind.

I know a lot of people who liked Mephisto Covenant a lot. To each is own, I guess. It's not total rubbish but not a gem either. For me, it's somewhere between bad and mediocre. Oh, and really really really looooong! Long book+uncharismatic and dull characters=yawn fest.
Also (I keep remembering things I didn't like lol) again, Mephisto is kinda ( a lot!!) on the religious side and I'm not into that. But that's just my thing.
And to end on a happier tone, Mephisto appears to be a stand alone. Not a trilogy. I repeat: NOT a trilogy. That's always a plus for me.

                                                                            post signature

5 comments:

  1. Good God Giota! You really enjoyed this one, didn't you?? I have heard from others that The Mephisto Covenant is rather religious and I will admit to not being a really big fan of books that have too much of a focus on religion. It usually acts as a restriction and makes the story sound to patented, too unrealistic.

    You really made me laugh with that Anabo, Anabo part! :P It probably does sound exotic to others, but I am pretty sure I would find it funny if I started seeing it everywhere in a book! You've made me wonder though; what the hell is an Anabo?? Does it really just mean a daughter of Eve? Rather weird choice of a name for that... :/

    Great review, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feelings on this book were extremely similar! My review went live today, as well.

    I know many people are loving this book, but I am not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only seen so-so reviews on this one, so I do not think this one is for me. It does not sound great and from your review, I am totally convinced I probably won't enjoy it. Thanks for the honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Phanne Yeah Anabo is supposed to be Eve's daughter before she and Adam were thrown out of Heaven/Paradise or whatever :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm.... O-kay... Still sounds a little weird though. I might just have to read this one and see what I think of it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails