Tuesday, March 20, 2012

READING: Rivals (The Ivy #3) by Lauren Kunze&Rina Onur

Rivals by Lauren Kunze&Rina Onur

Publication date: March 6th, 2012
Published by: Greenwillow Books
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating: 5/5

Decisions, decisions . . .


You’ve survived your first semester and captured the interest of not one but two of the hottest guys on campus.


Now who are you going to choose?


Callie Andrews returns for her second semester at Harvard determined to do better than the previous fall, where those Bs on her report card seemed pretty good compared to the state of her extracurriculars (F, as in if at first you don’t succeed, you should probably stop trying), friendships (C-minus, since she and former BFF Vanessa are still on thin ice), and love life (D, as in don’t even go there). But various campus rivalries soon threaten to thwart Callie’s resolve. 
Callie will face some of the toughest choices imaginable: in friendships, in loyalties, and in love. The pressure to pick a side—and a suitor—has never been higher. But will she and her friends choose well?

The love I feel for this series is ridiculous, really. The Ivy and Secrets were on my Top 10 Best Reads of 2011. And there I was with Rivals, thinking that the novelty will definitely wear off the 3d time around. Yeah well, that didn't happen. I'm glad, and in a weird way proud, to announce that Rivals was as awesome and amazing as its predecessors. 

It's just keeps getting better and better! Lauren & Rina are always bringing something new to the table and they deliver every time. They have mastered that fine line between high schoolers and adults and got the perfect middle down pat. Having experienced Harvard life themselves can't hurt, either. 
Brilliantly written and devilishly clever, the beginnings of every chapter were my favorite parts of the book. That she-devil Alexis Thorndike can write! (Jessica was right, even her name sounds mean!). I smile at the thought that this is a column in a magazine of one of the most prestigious schools in the whole world, perhaps THE most prestigious. And it's mostly info about exclusive parties and the 15 hottest freshmen? With pictures?? Genius!

Speaking of Alexis, I gotta hand it to her. Even though I am supposed to dislike her, and I do, don't get me wrong, my imaginary hat's off to her. She is one conniving, cunning little…girl. ;) She mostly works behind the scenes in Rivals but that doesn't mean that her actions don't have a devastating effect. Trust me, she knows what she is doing and no one should ever underestimate her.
No spoilers you guys, because A LOT is happening this time around in terms of story/plot and I don't want to ruin it for you. Especially after Secret's heart breaking cliffhanger, I bet you can't wait to see who Callie ends up with. Well, let's just say things for poor Callie are very complicated. And I'll leave you with that.

On second thought, no. I have something else I wanna say, to Lauren and Rina.
WHY OH WHY?? I barely made it through Secrets' cliff and now you went and done it again?? Now I have to wait a whole year to find out what happens next *curses*
I would hate you if I didn't admire you so! 

Can I express my eternal love and devotion towards Gregory now? Because God knows he deserves it!
I gave the other guys a chance, I really did, but I just don't know what it is about Gregory that makes me giddy every time he makes an appearance. Is it because he smokes?( I know most people find it disgusting but I think it's alluring. To each his own). Is it because he is a player that makes my inner teen giggle bashfully? I guess it's him being such a stand up guy in spite of that. I will, without any shame, admit that right now he is my literary crush #1!

Mimi, OK, Vanessa, Matt and co. were their old perfect and hilarious selves. I loved how the turn Callie and Vanessas's friendship took was showed and how their friends tried to make them see reason again. Also, the bench scene at the Leather and Lace party was one of the most unbelievable(and effective, if you're thinking of trying it) scenes of friends bonding I have ever read. And the most awkward. And awesome!

Finally, to those of you who still wonder how much of what's happening is true(writers' personal experiences) believe me, I was right there with you. But at the end of the day you'll find that it doesn't really matter. Enjoy the college experience and forget about your problems for a minute. Instead worry about Callie's complicated love life-much better! :)
....
OK enough with the niceties. When is book #4 coming out?? I am not even entertaining the idea of there not being a 4th book, it's simply unacceptable.
So when is it coming out?
Please?
Pretty please??
*now where did I put those cherries...?*


LAST MINUTE EDIT: YAYAYAYAYAY!! *jumps up and down* Just in, Lauren's tweet: "The Ivy is a planned 4 book series. SCANDAL (out Winter 2012) follows Callie & friends through the end of freshman year."
I don't have to wait a whole year, yes! *fist bumps self* 
Deep down I am incredibly sad this series is almost over. 
:(
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails