Tuesday, March 15, 2011

READING : Dark Mirror by M.J.Putney

Dark Mirror by M.J.Putney

Publication date: March 1st, 2011
Published by: St. Martin's Griffin
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Rating: 3/5
Eligible for Debut Author Challenge 2011

Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the earl and countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status.

Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if exposed, it could strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted . . . by magic.

When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society.

But Tory’s life is about to change forever. All that she’s ever known or considered important will be challenged. What lies ahead is only the beginning of a strange and wonderful journey into a world where destiny and magic come together, where true love and friendship find her, and where courage and strength of character are the only things that determine a young girl’s worth.
 I am a total sucker for Historical books, especially when there's time traveling involved. However, I still have mixed feelings about Dark Mirror. Some parts I liked, other parts not so much, and this constant "I like it-nah,I don't" was kinda frustrating.

Let me start off by saying that the summary at the back of the book is quite misleading, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the stuff in it do happen. But summary only covers the first half of the book. The second half, after she finds the mirror that is (not much of a spoiler, it's on the cover) is another thing entirely. Thing is, the second half of the book holds all the important parts, the jist of it, all the action and the character development, whereas the first half plays more of an introductory role. So, I guess I'd like the transition between the 1st and 2nd half to be smoother, instead of going from a relaxed, laid back mode to smack dab in the middle of World War II!

Tory, the protagonist, was likable enough. Clever, courageous and considerate of others. Although we didn't get to see much of her and Allarde together, nor learn much about Allarde, I enjoyed their short conversations and their exchanging views about relationships and how each of them think they must be.
I liked the Rainfords very much and I found their love for their father who is a soldier long-lost in the war, very touching.
The other charters weren't as developed and fell kinda flat. It's safe to say that Dark Mirror is a Tory-centered book and everyone else pretty much revolves around her, her actions and decisions.

I am not sure if I'll follow Tory's next adventure because this one wasn't as exciting as I expected. If you are into Historical WWII stories however, you should definitely give Dark Mirror a try.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. I've heard about this one but didn't realize it was about WWII. I really like that era, so I'm more interested in picking it up now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails