Wednesday, January 25, 2012

READING: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Publication date: January 24th, 2012
Published by: HarperCollins
Genre: YA, Mythology
Rating: 5/5
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
I don't know how I feel about YA Greek mythology re-tellings. Actually, that's a lie. I know what I feel: dread. Granted, I have not read a lot of books of that particular genre but I have read enough to avoid it altogether. So when a friend offered to lend me her ARC of Everneath I was like "Um…" , then I sighed in defeat and accepted the offer. Thankfully, I didn't regret it.

Everneath is beautifully written and Ashton manages to create a dark, haunting atmosphere around Nikki's story. Nikki has spent 100 years in the Underworld and only when she comes back (only a year has paced in the real world) does she realise the pain she has caused to the people who love her, all the while knowing that she must leave again. I like how Ashton portrayed both Nikki's longing to return, her desire to see the people she loves and explain to them what happened when she last left, and her apprehensiveness towards them, fearing how they will react. Especially, the boy she loves, Jack.

Jack is not the only one in the picture, though. Would it be a YA book without a love triangle? Nope. In all fairness, what's going on in Evernetath is not exactly a triangle, but two guys want the same girl, so for lack of a better word I'll call it a triangle. The other guy is Cole, mysterious, bad and immortal. He was Nikki's companion in the Everneath and now he wants her back whatever the cost. I loved Cole and Nikki's relationship so much! Even more than Jack and Nikki's. I have a thing for the underdogs. And the I-am-smug-but-for-a-very-good-reason kinda guys.

I really don't know what else I can say about Everneath. Everything I write sounds very close to a summary. The story is so dense, that the smallest mention could be spoilery.
Awesome writing, great story and characters. This books comes out today, folks. Go, buy, enjoy :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails