Friday, February 3, 2012

READING: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Publication date: June 12th, 2007
Published by: HarperTeen
Genre: YA Paranormal, Fairies
Rating: 3,5/5
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty-especially if they learn of her Sight-and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. His is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost-regardless of her plans or desires.

Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; everything.

I know. Too little too late, uh? Wicked Lovely was published in 2007.
Almost 5 years ago, people!! And it's only now that I decided to read it after a lot of coaxing from friends.

Well, it surely wasn't the best book I read this year, but thanks to Donia, it wasn't the worst, either. As for the other characters, well.
In a nutshell, I didn't like Aislinn AT ALL, I thought Seth was the blandest goth ever, Keenan was somewhat interesting and Beira was like the witch in the TV show Once Upon A Time. And Donia was awesome :)

Let me start from the beginning. Reading into the first couple of chapters you might feel your jaw dropping a little and not in a "Dude, this is amazing" kind of way, but more in a "Dude, what the frak am I reading?" way. And the book pretty much continues on that theme. The reason for the jaw-dropping is that nowhere in the book is the fairy world explained. Nothing. Everything gets thrown in there to the point where you're sure there must be a 0,5 book you aren't aware of. There is no description of the fairy world, fairy subjects, hierarchy, rules. If I hadn't read a couple of fairy books before Wicked Lovely(pretty much the same rules apply)I would be completely lost. An exposition chapter would be much appreciated by the readers, in my opinion, because believe it or not, not all of us were born knowing what sprites and hags are. I know, shocker.

So, to cut right to the chase, Aislinn is one of those girls who don't want to lose their virginity no matter what. They prefer to get run over by a truck than lose the big V. Exaggeration? I think not. She herself says that she considers losing ones sight and ones virginity equally important.
What-who-what?? *blinking rapidly*
For my sanity's sake I decided to leave this little tidbit aside and respect her no-virginity-losing enthusiasm, even though I find it beyond moronic.
A bunch of chapters later, Aislinn still feels strongly about not losing her virginity and she talks about it with Seth. However, she adds that she has no problem doing eeeeeverything else.
No way.
I was patient and forgave a lot of things when it came to Aislinn, but that's where I drew my line with Wicked Lovely. No offense to the people that liked the book, but that is just ridiculous. When someone supports ideas like these is either a hypocrite or a complete idiot, in my book. My money is on the former. 

Then there is Seth. Seth was a goth, with way too many piercings, and had a bet boa.
So, no.
Also he was pretty boring.
Keenan was not all that more interesting than Seth, but what I found intriguing about him was that he was not the emo third wheel I thought he'd be. He stood his ground, even when things didn't go exactly his way and didn't throw a hissy fit or get into a pissing contest with Seth.
Best character in Wicked Lovely in my opinion was Donia's. She was covered in ice and still showed more emotion that all the other characters combined. She was a melancholic, heart broken, ice fairy. And she had a cool pet(not at all like a boa!).
Also because of Donia and what happened to her character(no spoilers, don't worry. Although, I'm pretty sure all of you have read it), I consider reading book 2. I think it doesn't have Aislinn in it so yay!

Overall, Wicked Lovely was not a bad book. Its female protagonist was a miss, sure, but its story and the world Marr has created are interesting.
Maybe I'll pick the book with the Dark Fairies next. That would be cool, I guess.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, don't continue this series. Added to piercings are tattoos.

    -----Also, SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS-----

    In book 2 Niall and Irial seem to have a bromance going on, and Leslie's fine with it. 2 guys, one girl relationship kinda thing and in book 4, 2 girls 1 guy relationship. Sorcha is the worst kind of fairy, turning from orderly to complete messy, and book 5 just kind of wrapped everything up with everybody having sex in the ending.

    -----END OF SPOILERS AMEN TO THAT-----

    It's crazy and I wish I never stumbled upon this series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails