Tuesday, May 29, 2012

READING: The Girl In The Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

The Girl In The Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross

Publication date: May 22nd, 2012
Published by: Harlequin
Genre: YA Steampunk
Rating: 4/5
In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

The Girl In The Clockwork Collar starts just right where Steel Corset left off. The gang, consisting of Griffin, Finley, Emily and Sam, travel to New York to find out what is the reason behind Jasper's incarceration and find a way to free him.

Those who enjoyed The Girl In The Steel Corset, will surely enjoy Clockwork Collar, as well. It has action, romance, scheming, betrayal. I liked all the characters, just like I did in Steel Corset. The line between good and bad is pretty distinct in both books. I would have liked the characters to be a little bit more flawed, have a darker side, too. The only one who is the embodiment of that is Jack Dandy (you remember him from Steel Corset, right?) who regretfully we don't get to see at all in Clockwork Collar. Too bad, I enjoyed his scenes in SC very much. I guess he was "replaced" by Tesla, who was interesting, to say the least. I am not sure if I love the crazy, kinda insensitive super scientist type of guy (think Dr. Bishop in Fringe) but he didn't annoy me either, which is good. Besides, his interactions were mostly with Emily, who I'm not crazy about, anyway. I love both Sam and Jasper and somehow I think they can do way better than Emily. I don't know why I have this feeling about this girl since Steel Corset. She just rubs me the wrong way.

I kinda had the feeling Collar was a little bit less steampunk-y than Corset. Weirdly enough for me, that's a good thing. Also I would have liked nothing more but for both these books to be shorter at least 50 pages.
That being said, I would recommend it to those who liked the first book and even to those who were on the fence about it. 
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I agree I was disappointed that jack dandy wasn't really in this book. since like you i enjoyed his scenes in book 1, but i am sure he will be back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review ^_^ I have yet to read the first book however it's on my tbr pile =D

    Maura @ Monster of Books

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails