Tuesday, May 8, 2012

READING: This Is So Not Happening (He's So/She's So #3) by Kieran Scott

This Is So Not Happening by Kieran Scott

Publication date: May 1st, 2012
Published by: Simon&Schuster Childrens Books
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating: 5/5

After their long summer apart, Ally and Jake were hoping for a drama free senior year. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like things will work out that way...again.
It turns out that Chloe is pregnant and says that Jake is the father. Hammond is pissed at his best friend, but mostly can't believe that Ally would stay with Jake. But Ally is tired of being apart from Jake and is willing to make it work. But that is easier said than done when Jake starts blowing Ally off to go to doctor's appointments with Chloe and Ally joins the school play and meets a new cute guy.
But as graduation approaches, things get more complicated as new secrets come out and Ally realizes maybe Jake isn't the guy she thought he was. After everything they've been through can Ally and Jake get out of Orchard Hill with their relationship intact?

2nd read (Mar 2019)
TISNH, the last book of the series, was a bit glum, depressing and kind of uncomfortably dark. I didn't remember Jake changing so much after he finds out↓


and it was a bit scary, I'm not going to lie. I mean, he was always a spoiled, little brat but mostly in a cute way. But after finding out, he was really mean and spiteful. Not that he didn't have a reason to be. Chloe almost got away with murder and Jake got isolated and blamed for acting out and holding a grudge. He was immature about it sure, but he is supposed to be immature, he is 17! Again, this book portrays girls who are entitled, spoiled and were never said 'no' in their lives, to easily judge others for acting the same, and get away with it. I know it was probably done in an effort to give a little power to the girls and show that (most) guys are jerks, but that was just a bit overkill.

Also, what happened to David??? Poor guy, he was such a big part of Book 1 and he was completely forgotten in the next ones :(

Verdict: 😐 Overall, these books might still be alright after 7 years (just barely, mind you) but they were so damn annoying at times. Especially book 2, which I absolutely loved on my first read. Go figure.


1st read (May 2012)
I can believe it's over. It's been 2 years but it feels like yesterday when I first read about Jake and Ally. If you guys haven't read the first two books, She's So Dead To Us and He's So Not Worthy, go to your nearest bookstore or library and get them, you will not regret it.

For those of you who are still trying to pick your jaw off the floor after the last book's explosive ending, This Is So Not Happening will kill you! The answer to the question on everyone's lips comes after the first half of the book, so I can see a lot of bit nails in your future. Scott's writing makes it all worthwhile, though. Alternating POVs between Jake and Ally, she captures the mind of a girl who's dealing with so much crap but tries not to lose it, and a guy who is going through so many changes in a short amount of time, that he feels like he's losing his marbles. The way these two teenagers, with apparently a very different view of things, handle a very serious situation is heartbreaking, awkward, funny, aggravating and admirable, everything it should be. The thought alone of everything one stands to lose but also gain from this experience, is overwhelming for adults, much less teenagers. Scott did an excellent job writing these two, kudos.

I have a tiny insy bit objection, though. 
SPOILERS [highlight to read]
Why did Jake got blamed SO MUCH? I mean yeah, maybe he was a little obnoxious at times, but come on! The guy is 17, he finds out that after one night of protected sex he left Claire pregnant. He had to keep his grades up, his girlfriend and also his mind. And after 5 months he finds out that Claire had lied to him about the baby?? And for what? So she could be more respected by the other Cresties instead of them finding out she had sex with a Norm. Pffff the guy flushed his life in the toilet for her and the baby and everyone was against HIM! Not fair at all. Chloe was way too pampered and spoiled, in my opinion.

So, I guess that's it. This is so not happening concludes the She's so/He's so trilogy. No more Jake and Ally. Unless Scott decides to write another trilogy with them in college. Maybe. Could happen. Just throwing it out there.
Whatever she decides to write next, I know it will be amazing. The Private series is one of my favorite series ever(I swallowed those books up like nobody's business), so her future books are automatically on my to-read list.
Thank you, Mrs. Scott for yet another awesome series :)


NOTE: the reason I decided to use the highlight method for the spoiler zone is because I noticed in a couple of blogs that had spoilers in their reviews, that sometimes my eye got drawn to that area. So I always caught a word or two. With background same as the text, that's not an option. I rarely add spoilers in my reviews so you won't be seeing it all that much. I hope it's not very annoying :)
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this series for a long time. I have the first book on my kindle.

    Now that it's over it would be a good time to get started. No pesky cliffhangers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hiding the spoilers! I've been waiting for this book, can't wait to read it. So glad to hear that it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Melissa @Karen Looooove these books!!! I would read whatever Scott wrote but regardless of that they're awesome, read them!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails