Tuesday, August 21, 2018

READING: Try (Temptation #1) by Ella Frank


Publication date: November 12 2013
Published by: --
Genre: MMAdult, Romance, Erotica
Rating: 

Try – verb: to make an attempt or effort to do something or in this case…someone.

Sex. Logan Mitchell loves it, and ever since he realized his raw sexual appeal at a young age, he has had no problem using it to his advantage. Men and women alike fall into his bed—after all, Logan is not one to discriminate. He lives by one motto—if something interests you, why not just take a chance and try?

And he wants to try Tate Morrison.

Just coming out of a four-year marriage with an ex-wife from hell, a relationship is the last thing on Tate’s mind. He’s starting fresh and trying to get back on his feet with a new job at an upscale bar in downtown Chicago.
The only problem is, Tate has caught the unwavering and unwelcome attention of Mr. Logan Mitchell – a regular at the bar and a man who always gets what he wants.

Night after night Tate fends off the persistent advances of the undeniably charismatic man, but after an explosive moment in the bar, all bets are off as he finds his body stirring with a different desire than his mind.
As arrogance, stubbornness and sexual tension sizzles between the two, it threatens to change the very course of their lives.

Logan doesn’t do relationships. Tate doesn’t do men. But what would happen if they both just gave in and…tried?



2nd read (Sep 1 2018)
I was so obsessed with L&T, that when I finished True, I started reading the series from the beginning. Even though not much time has passed since I first read Try (not even half a month), there were still some things I remembered quite differently.
For example, I thought that Tate's seduction in the beginning of the book (all the bar scenes) lasted less the second time around, consequently make the GFY transition less "realistic" (using the word very liberally here). Maybe because I knew what was going to happen and I was flying through it. 

On the other hand, things that bothered me the first time around, e.g. T&L having sex all the time and not actually talking, I didn't mind now, just because I knew that the matter of not knowing each other at all is covered in the next book.
All in all, still liked it a lot-L&T's chemistry is unreal.

1st read (Aug 21 2018)
As soon as I started reading Try, I was sure it would become my new obsession. Right from the start, it grabs you and throws you for a loop. It doesn't hesitate even for a second; action is swift, scintillating and very seductive. My fingers were literally burning holes on the side of my Kindle and I didn't want to let go till I read the whole thing.
That being said, I am going to break Try down in parts because, as I much as I wanted it, it wasn't equally as good.

20-25%: Perfection. I absolutely loved it. It all takes place in one setting, revisited over and over: the bar where Tate works. Logan, a lawyer working in a nearby building, frequents the bar for a drink after work. When he sees Tate behind the bar for the first time (he's new) he knows he's done for. And thus begins the most amazingly titillating and sensual game, as Logan relentlessly chases Tate who is *gasp* straight. The scenes are all dialogue, with Logan and Tate behind different sides of the bar: Logan is completely shameless and depraved. He is very confident, very persistent, he won't stop until he gets what he wants. 

Tate is... well, let's say he's not like Logan. He is flattered by Logan's attention at first, but nothing more than that. He even gets angry at Logan when the man becomes too forward with him. He tells him to back off and leave him alone many times, but to Logan it’s just an invitation to keep trying. So, it's not one of those GFY books where the straight guy sleeps with another man almost immediately. It takes a LOT to convince Tate, who is struggling with all these new feelings he didn't even know he was capable of having. Even though I knew that he would finally back down (duh), the emotional journey he went through, his anger and frustration as he tried to, unsuccessfully, brush off his feelings, was very believable and interesting to me, because you don't see that kind of detail in character development in an erotica novel. Overall, the first 20-25% of Try was exhilarating, electrifying, pure magic. I would read it again and again and again.

Approximately 30-50% As soon as the chase was done and Tate relented, we get to see the plans Logan has for him. He invites Tate to his apartment and asks him to "Just try". Tate, still very tormented and conflicted about what to do, he decides to go and see what happens because no matter how much he tries, he just can't keep away from Logan. Here we reach the erotica part of the book, where Logan is pretty much giving Tate an 101 lesson in sexual acts between two men. I know that sounds kinda cold and technical, but it's anything but. Tate is very receptive, as Logan's passion and lust drives him crazy. I really enjoyed this part as well, coming down from the absolute high that was the previous part and witnessing Tate's timid and at times embarrassing attempts to come to terms with his life being turned upside down. Logan is slightly changed, being a little more patient and tender with Tate, scared that even the slighted wrong move will drive him away. Now, on his turf, and seeing Tate slowly lose his inhibitions and fully respond to him, he is more than committed to showing Tate how it is to be in bed with him.

Half way until the end From here on out, the book is mostly all about sex. I know this is an erotica book, but I couldn’t help but be a little fed up with Logan and Tate solving their problems with shoving each other against walls/desks/beds and going at it. And there are some serious problems they definitely need to work out, problems that deserve a bit more communication and character bonding.
However, the author is fully aware of that at all times, having the characters admitting not knowing anything about each other because they are so viciously attracted to each other, that they just want to have sex. Even when Tate gets angry at Logan and rightfully so, Logan grovels and begs a bit, but still in a sexual context, making it into a game, asking Tate to forgive him multiple times during sex and Tate always denying him. That leaves a lot of unresolved issues in the end, which will have you reaching for the second book.

Try is an emotional whirlwind of a book. Very erotic and sensual, but with a very interesting story, and characters with an undeniable electrifying chemistry.
However, and if I’m being honest, there were some situations in Try that I haven’t encountered before in an MM book, nor did I think I would ever encounter:

1. Over-the-top possessiveness/jealousy – not quite a turn on if it’s this exaggerated (especially coming from two people that barely know each other). Made me cringe, more than anything

2. Backing people on walls even though they clearly said no-if that were to happen in an fm book, it would be considered a sexual assault, the MC would be declared a creepy, sick asshole, and I would have dropped the book like it was hot.

In Try, I was frustrated by the fact that it didn’t bother me as much as it would in an fm book. I don’t know what that makes me, possibly a huge hypocrite. I always thought one of the main reasons MM books have such a big female audience, is because they make women feel safe while reading them. I don’t know if Logan’s aggressive initial approach can be considered as sexual assault. As Tate says numerous times “I’m an adult, I can say no anytime”. Problem is, he does say it, but Logan chooses to ignore it and in the end, it’s all put down to playful lust. Tate never thinks Logan assaulted him, on the contrary, he gets off on the other man’s confidence and how much he seems to want Tate. This whole matter just had this nonchalance air around it, and I think part of it has to do with gender. Men can take care of themselves, right? Tate could punch Logan, Logan would never go anywhere near him again, and everything would be resolved that easily. No big deal.
Regardless of gender, there are some lines that should not be crossed, and writers should be extra careful when it comes to these matters, imo.
 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails