Monday, May 20, 2019

READING: Dark Shores (Dark Shores #1) by Danielle L. Jensen


Publication date: May 7 2019
Published by: Tor Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Gods, Magic, Romance, Suspence
Rating: 

A PIRATE WITH A WILL OF IRON

Teriana is the second mate of the Quincense and heir to the Maarin Triumvirate. Her people are born of the seas and the keepers of its secrets, but when her closest friend is forced into an unwanted betrothal, Teriana breaks her people’s mandate so her friend might escape—a choice with devastating consequences. 

A SOLDIER WITH A SECRET

Marcus is the commander of the Thirty-Seventh, the notorious legion that has led the Celendor Empire to conquer the entire East. The legion is his family, but even they don’t know the truth he’s been hiding since childhood. It’s a secret he’ll do anything to protect, no matter how much it costs him – and the world. 

A DANGEROUS QUEST

When an Empire senator discovers the existence of the Dark Shores, he captures Teriana’s crew and threatens to reveal Marcus’s secret unless they sail in pursuit of conquest, forcing the two into an unlikely—and unwilling—alliance. They unite for the sake of their families, but both must decide how far they are willing to go, and how much they are willing to sacrifice.


What a pleasant surprise this book was! I went into it after years of not reading much of YA fantasy (too many duds in the past) and expecting the worst because of all the hype.
I am so glad I was wrong.

Plot wise, Jensen nailed it. I really liked her world building - intricate enough to be interesting, but not too complex to be confusing. Although I have to admit it was hard for me to get into in the beginning, but I mostly attribute that to my long absence from fantasy. Also, I am not a fan of "explaining as you go", as I very professionally call it, and Dark Shores was definitely like that. There is no introduction to the world, you get thrown in it right away, and I caught myself flipping the pages to see if there is anything I missed in the beginning. But that goes away quickly as events start unravelling and we get into the characters more. 

For me, the book really picked up the pace and explored its characters from when they arrived in Arinoquia.
I instantly liked Marcus right away, his story was so well thought up, it was hard not to. I loved his personality and the way he carried himself among his men, exuding power and authority but also showing sympathy and compassion. Most of all though I loved the way he talked and his ever so careful choice of words. I know it is an odd thing to like, but you'll understand when you read it.
I liked Teriana well enough, although there were some instances where her actions did not really make that much sense to me. I get that she is conflicted, but I didn't really see how that conflict came to be so quickly. Contrary to Marcus who had no opinion of Maarin before he met her, she is brought up to despise godless Empire people, no more than the legatus of the most lethal legion in existence, Marcus. Not that it was insta love or anything, not even close. However, I felt that Marcus's attraction to her was more justified than hers to him.
I have to say though, not having their physical attributes pointed out all the time was such a breath of fresh air. Not everything needs to be sexualised. And that is coming from me!

That ending though...😱 It's not a cliff, but it will definitely leave you wanting more.

If Spartacus had a YA brother, it would be Dark Shores. It doesn't get any better than that.

Side note: Dark Shores is not a book about pirates, at least not as we know them. Granted, you catch a glimpse of the sailors' life at sea, but they are not your typical cutthroat pillagers. On the contrary, Maarin are peaceful people, who avoid trouble and just looking to trade. They are opportunists sure, but they would never harm just for the sake of it. So if you are looking for a swashbuckling adventure in the high seas, this might not be the book for you.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails