Monday, July 15, 2019

READING: When a Scot Ties The Knot by Tessa Dare

Publication date: August 25 2015
Published by: Avon
Genre: Adult, Romance, Historical, Chick Lit, Fairytale, Favorites
Rating: 

On the cusp of her first London season, Miss Madeline Gracechurch was shyly pretty and talented with a drawing pencil, but hopelessly awkward with gentlemen. She was certain to be a dismal failure on the London marriage mart. So Maddie did what generations of shy, awkward young ladies have done: she invented a sweetheart.

A Scottish sweetheart. One who was handsome and honorable and devoted to her, but conveniently never around. Maddie poured her heart into writing the imaginary Captain MacKenzie letter after letter … and by pretending to be devastated when he was (not really) killed in battle, she managed to avoid the pressures of London society entirely.

Until years later, when this kilted Highland lover of her imaginings shows up in the flesh. The real Captain Logan MacKenzie arrives on her doorstep—handsome as anything, but not entirely honorable. He’s wounded, jaded, in possession of her letters… and ready to make good on every promise Maddie never expected to keep.
 





“I think you underestimate my capacity for taking normal human interaction and making it awkward.” 

Guys. I'm in love 💓💓💓
This book is just one of the loveliest, sweetest, funniest HRs I've ever read.
And there is a hot Highlander in it. How can I not love it?!

Tessa Dare yet again spun a wonderful story, this time about a shy and introverted illustrator (Maddie) and this magnificent all-man Highlander (Logan), who start off as enemies but of course end up falling madly in love through comical, but also deeply romantic, situations. Dare's melodic writing was so engaging, I could not put this book down. I read it all in a day, and I have to regretfully admit that I miss it already.
There is something that I have only seen in Dare's writing so far which I really like: modern phrases, jokes or general way of speaking customised to fit the period for which she writes. It's hard to explain, and you're probably going "What is she on about"?, and I daftly forgot to write down said phrases as to give you an example. It's so beautifully done by Dare and even though it doesn't throw you off, you are still able to detect it. I think it makes the characters timeless and consequently more relatable.

Maddie, Logan and all secondary characters were very well written, something that really surprised me. Not that I didn't think Dare is a great writer, but truth be told, in HRs character development is usually not the predominant element nor is it expected to be. That's why it's so amazing when it is done right. I came to know Logan and Maddie so well throughout this small book of 300 pages. Their background, how they grew up, how they viewed the world, their thoughts, their feelings. I mean, I haven't seen this thorough character development in HR (and other genres) books double the size of WASTTN. There was no out of character silly shenanigans, no unnecessary over the top drama. Just the perfect love story, romantic, serious, sexy and funny just when it needed to be. There are very few authors that have that gift, and Dare is definitely one of them.

Logan and Maddie's witty banter is the best part of the book, considering how petite she was and how huge he was, that mental image alone is hilarious!
What I liked most however is that Maddie might be described as a small, anxious and lonesome girl, but she was not a pushover. She showed some serious backbone when needed and stood up to Logan when he was being a stupid brute.

If you are down and you are in desperate need of a pick me up, When a Scot Ties the Knot will definitely put a smile on your face.
Great romance written by a great writer - I can't recommend it enough!
 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails