Sunday, June 7, 2020

READING: A Court Of Thorn and Roses (A Court Of Thorn and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Publication date: May 5 2015
Published by: Bloomsbury USA
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Fae, Magic, Kings, Romance, Suspense 
Rating: 

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.


Didn't write a review when I first read it back in 2015, but I decided to write one after I re-read it 5 years later.

1st re-read
Surprisingly, better than I remembered.
Granted, I was expecting the absolute worst, but turns out it wasn't that bad. I even remembered it wrong: I thought the "triangle" was between Feyre, Tamlin and Lucien. I did not remember Rhysand or the events that took place Under the Mountain at all! And I didn't remember any of their names, obviously. Funny thing, as soon as I saw the name "Rhysand", I immediately recognised it, as I have seen it written in hundreds of forums and book reviews, some not even ACOTAR series reviews (yes, that's right). So, I guess he is a fan favourite which is understandable and expected. Who doesn't love a bad guy turned all good and heroic for the love of a woman? Classic trope. He is basically Spike from BTVS. I mean, come on. Instant obsession 😍

Apart from Rhysand adding some necessary spice to an otherwise bland YA fantasy, I only liked Feyre's scenes with her family. It's the only time I felt she showed genuine emotion. As her relationship with Tamlin started to grow and she forgot all about her hatred for the fae and just took Tamlin's word that her family was ok, I lost interest. I could have easily skimmed this part and went straight to when she goes back to the village. I find her family dynamic very interesting and definitely something to explore, especially Nesta's character.

I don't know what to think of Tamlin. I guess there is not much to say for a character that gets so quickly outshined by someone that just appears at the end of the book. Tamlin is forgettable yes, and I have seen the exact same character in 90% of the YAs I've read. 
BUT. I can definitely see potential, and the chance to change the history of hot but boring YA MCs. If Maas knows how to explore that potential and really dig into his relationship with Fayre and Rhysand, it could be something beautiful. Judging by the books' success, I would like to think that she did, let's hope 🙏

I have to say, it's nice to finally read the books which reviews and discussions have been monopolising my feed for years now. Also, I have to give myself props for not reading any major spoilers all this time. Or if I have, I have definitely forgotten 😄
If I'm being honest, the reason I decided to read this series is to finally see what ACOMAF is all about. Hands down, it's the most praised book in the GR community for the past 11 years I have been an active member. For that alone, it is worth a shot.
 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails