Monday, October 11, 2010

READING: Deception by Lee Nichols (ARC)

Deception by Lee Nichols

Published date: June 8th, 2010
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Source: Won
Rating: 4,5/5

When Emma Vaile's parents leave on mysterious business trip, it gives her the perfect excuse to be a rebellious teen. Throw some parties, get a tattoo (or maybe just a piercing), and enjoy the first few weeks of her junior year. Then her best friend stops talking to her, the cops crash her party, and Emma finds herself in the hands of a new guardian—her college-age "knight in J.Crew armor," Bennett Stern—and on a plane to his museum-like mansion in New England.

After enrolling at Thatcher Academy, Emma settles in by making friends with the popular legacy crowd. But she can't shake the strange visions that are haunting her. She has memories of Thatcher she can't explain, as if she's returning home to a place she's never been. Emma doesn't trust anyone anymore—except maybe Bennett. But he's about to reveal a ghostly secret to Emma. One that will explain the visions . . . and make Emma fear for her life.

What an awesome, awesome book!I am so glad I picked this up,even though at first I was a bit skeptical about it.I won this a while ago in a Teens Read And Write giveaway, so thanks so much you guys :)

Writing was exactly what I look for in a YA novel: simple, fast paced,engaging.Turning page after page I found myself captivated by the amazing world Nichols has created.Deception is not some stereotypical paranormal story with a love triangle casually thrown in.It has a dense plot and numerous aspects that always keep you guessing.

Characters were great.I liked Emma a lot!And yes, I am saying this for a female lead!It's not a first, but it sure is uncommon.I liked her energy, her attitude, I liked that she knows what she wants from the very beginning and never wavers. Bennett, oh Bennett!I absolutely loved him!It was so nice to finally see a guy that didn't confess his eternal love for a girl on the first page.I loved his indifference and aloofness that lasted pretty much throughout most of the book.It is way more intriguing and alluring to see the girl actually trying to get the guy and not take him and his feelings for granted.
Other characters were well developed as well, and all play important parts in the story.

What "bothered" me a bit though, was that Emma didn't seem to worry much about her parents' situation.She mentions them a couple of times but that's it.I know she had a lot going on but I expected her to care a little bit more about her parents going MIA all of a sudden.

Overall, Deception was a well-written, haunting(pun intented!)ghost story that definitely didn't disappoint.I totally recommend it!

Can't wait for Betrayal, sequel to Deception, coming out March 1st 2011! 


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good1i was also sceptical,but after that review i think i should reconsider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I read another review the other day and it was good too!
    I think i will be grabbing this one soon! XD
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Been wanting to read this one. I love Lee Nichols' adult books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book it's awsome! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails