Saturday, January 8, 2011

READING: Princess Of The Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

Princess Of The Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George


Publication date: January 20th, 2009
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5

A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn…

Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.
What a cute, beautiful fairytale!It was the perfect read for the Christmas holidays!

Princess Of The Midnight Ball is the retelling of the well known fairytale Twelve Dancing Princesses.Personally,I haven't heard of that specific fairytale before reading POTMB and in some way I am glad I hadn't because I had no expectations whatsoever going into POTMB.

The book basically tells the story of 12 princesses (sisters) who were cursed to dance every night till dawn in the underground kingdom of the evil King Under Stone.When nobody in the whole kingdom can find out why the princesses slippers are worn out every day, a former soldier and handsome young boy named Galen, steps up and tries to solve the mystery of the  worn out slippers and brake the curse that binds the princesses once and for all.

George's writing was beautiful, capturing perfectly the melancholy and sadness of the princesses, the foulness of Under Stone and the kindness of Galen.I liked each and every sister.And they are a lot!You could feel their pain as each and every night they exhausted themselves, dancing for 6 hours for the king,his sons and their creepy guests.I'm telling you, I am not sure how I feel about dancing anymore!
I found the love story believable but personally, I would like to have seen more of it.More interaction between the couple that could justify their deep love.

Princess Of The Midnight Ball is the perfect read for someone who wants to get lost in a beautiful, mythical world of princesses, kings, castles and a lot of dancing!
post signature

5 comments:

  1. I got this book for Christmas and the cover is beautiful! I'm really looking forward to reading it- thanks for the lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just traded a book to get this one because Jessica is coming for a signing at the end of this month where I live. Can't wait to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for more of Jessica Day George's stuff after reading a really cute one she wrote called Dragon Slippers. This one sounds good and even knowing nothing about it, I may have picked it out on the cover alone! Nice Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this one. The companion novel Princess of Glass was enjoyable as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails