Friday, November 25, 2011

READING: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Publication date: December 6th, 2011
Published by: Entangled Publishing
Genre: YA Paranormal, Sci-Fi
Rating: 4/5
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don’t kill him first, that is.
Obsidian is the poster book for how a teen novel-enjoyable, not at all complicated, easy and simple-should be, in order to appeal to as many readers as possible. Whether that appealed to me personally or not, is a whole different matter.

Well to be honest, it did appeal to me. Kinda. OK it was good and I enjoyed it. But nothing was happening till 70% in! Zero action. I guess that has something to do with the fact that the paranormal element (vamp, were, faery, witch, octopus whatever) wasn't revealed until right about the middle of the book. I knew it before I picked up the book and I was still bored. Before all the "action", it was a typical contemp YA with school-hot boys-high school dance-drama. And it was all about Katy and Daemon. I know, duh. This normally wouldn't have bothered me much if I wasn't up to here in hot boys who are complete jerks whom female protagonists drool over even they repeatedly acknowledge their jerkiness, and in girls who go "I don't have a boyfriend and my love life sucks. I don't know why I'm invisible to boys. I'm told I have to die for curves, delicious lips and awesome hair. Oh well, I guess I'm too much of a plain Jane for guys to notice me". 
*cue barf*
ARE.YOU. FREAKING. KIDDING. ME.

Maybe I'm getting grumpy at my old age, but please. Don't create characters who are beautiful and make them act like ordinary, girls-next door so teens can relate to them. It's wrong. I know that a book is fiction and it doesn't really matter but I also know that personally, I can make the distinction between reality and fiction. Unfortunately, from what I've seen out there, there are a lot of people who can't. Stop misleading them further.

Rant aside, I loved the fact that Katy was a book blogger. It was the first time I read the words "Waiting On Wednesday" or "It's Monday, what are you reading?" in an actual book and I couldn't help but smile. I liked Dee, Daemon's sister, I think she was genuinely sweet and generally a good person.
Daemon is kinda hot. OK, a lot. Teenagers out there, beware-he'll break your heart!

Obsidian is another run of the mill YA book with a nice pace, and a somewhat original plot. Fun, easy to finish but not a lot of action in there. I think I'll read book #2 when it comes out, just to see where the story's headed. As long as its cover is not as hideous as Obsidian's.
(Come on, guys! What were you thinking??)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails