Tuesday, November 15, 2011

READING: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Publication date: November 15th, 2011
Published by: HarperCollins
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating: 3,5/5
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 

Again, another book I was expecting everything from and only got some. It not exactly left me disappointed but I was not thrilled, either.

First couple of pages in I was like "What the hell am I reading? What is this?" I didn't like the crossed out phrases at all. I thought they were completely unnecessary, pretentious and just plain bad. However, after a while I thought that maybe they were there to symbolize Juliette's gradual transformation from an almost savage being living in a filthy sanitarium, to someone who is loved and capable of loving back. So, if it was intentionally added by the author then I'm in the wrong. If not, well then I stand by my initial opinion and say again that I found it showy and this book didn't need anything showy in it.

The story itself was very powerful and intense. It was original, I'll give it that, and the ending shows that there's much more to the story, has a little twist there. Will I pick up the 2nd book? Sure, why not?
Adam, well. He was a hot/hero/to good to be true guy. Aren't they all? Nothing that distinctly awesome about Adam, don't get why all female readers swooned over him so.

All in all, Shatter Me was a good dystopian novel, as all dystopian novels are overall OK., because the genre is still relatively "new" in YA and not many writers have trampled all over it like with YA Paranormal. So, IMO dystopians can be exceptionally good or just good. Shatter Me was the latter. I hope next book will be the former.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails