Sunday, April 21, 2019

READING: Transcend (Transcend Duet #1) by Jewel E. Ann


Publication date: March 26 2018
Published by: --
Genre: Adult, Romance, Suspense, Hints of Paranormal, Contemporary
Rating: 

An unexpected tragedy leaves Professor Nathaniel Hunt a widower alone with a newborn baby. 

He hires a nanny. She’s young, but well-qualified, with a simple life, a crazy name obsession, and a boyfriend she met at the grocery store. 

Over time, he discovers she knows things about him—things that happened before she was born—like a hidden scar on his head, his favorite pizza, and how he cheated on a high school Spanish test. 

She speaks familiar words and shares haunting memories that take him back to over two decades earlier when he lost his best friend in a tragic accident. 

“I’m afraid of what’s going to happen when you realize I’m not her.”




The love triangle in this book is not what you think, otherwise I wouldn’t read it. It’s so much more than two guys fighting over the same girl. Ann did the same in End of Day and she did it beautifully. I can 100% recommendthat to all love triangle haters/avoiders.
As for this one, I reserve my judgment until after I read Epoch (book 2).

I’ve never read a book about reincarnation before and I was admittedly sceptical in the beginning. One, I don't believe in it, or rather I have never given it much thought, and second I am a real cynic when it comes to "fate", which I think only exists in book and movie romances. 
Good thing about Transcend though is that it doesn't dogmatise, and doesn't try to convince you about anything. It just tells a story in a way that any non believer could still find riveting and fascinating. 

Swayze is a pretty average (her words) 21 year old. Her life, despite her peculiar parents, has been quite uneventful. Then she meets Nate, whom she immediately recognizes as someone from her past, someone that she knows very well. The only problem is, Nate is 15 years older than her and has no recollection of her. As “fate” brings Swayze to work for Nate, they develop an intense connection which is both utterly inexplicable and inconceivable. 
Ann portrays the experience as agonizing and painful for Swayze, and I felt so sorry for her throughout the whole book. I completely understood her predicaments, her hesitation, her indecisiveness. Even though I liked the fact that Nate did his research on reincarnation in true professor style, I thought he was drawn to Swayze just a tad too fast for a recent widower and a father of a 1 month old. I’d rather their relationship grew more and they got to know each other a bit better.

On the other hand, we have Griffin, the boyfriend (real meet-cute) who is a very hot, buff 24 year old. Despite his young age, he is considerate, asks about Swayze’s day (every day), he is a very generous lover (rare) and overall completely devoted to Swayze. As she would say, he is an old soul.
However, I felt that sometimes Swayze was being unreasonable and unfair when it came to their relationship. She begrudged Griffin for being upset with her about her and Nate (and she didn’t tell him the half of it!). Wouldn’t she be upset if he told her about another woman and the great connection they share? She knows she is in the wrong and she knows that she has a great enough guy that would love and forgive her no matter what, and she takes full advantage of it. If I’m being honest, even before Nate, I didn’t really believe that Swayze was as attached to Griffin as he was to her. Yes, she might have some feelings for him but I always sensed something holding her back every time. “He’s perfect BUT…” I wish I didn’t read the proposal scene, I found it so annoying. And by “it” I mean Swayze. 

The ending was a bit strange, in the sense that was extremely far fetched. It was a cliffhanger though, so let’s see how it will go over in Epoch.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails