Tuesday, July 27, 2010

READING : Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back.John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge -- and over....

I have heard so many good things about Going Too Far and about Jennifer Echols's works, that I just HAD to read a book of hers.For the most part I agree with everything I've heard and read about this book.The ending, however, was a bit of a let down for me.
But let's start from the beginning:

I absolutely loooooved Echols's writing!It was mature,clever and to the point.Also, it was the kind of "in your face" writing, which I personally love, because even though this is considered a Young Adult book, someone has to speak up and don't be afraid to write about the actual problems and angsts of young adults.She doesn't beat around the bush nor buries her head in the sand when it comes to matters that are considered "taboo", delivering a very realistic and caustic style of writing.

That being said, I found that her characters were not as realistic as her writing.Meg's falling in love with a man she thought was 40 years old,who is,in fact, 19(!), was kinda awkward, even though her and John's chemistry was great.I didn't quite get Meg's "confinement" problem,mainly because it was explained too quickly for my taste,considering the seriousness of the problem and how it has affected her whole life.That was what basically bothered me with Going Too Far : I loved it up until the last 40 pages or so, which I thought were quite sloppy,compared with the rest of the book,and it seemed to me that Echols just wanted to finish the book and do it fast, making the whole story difficult to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Going Too Far and I'm definitely planning on reading Forget You when it comes out.It's just that I get so frustrated when I am into a book and I am all excited to see what happens and in the end that something which makes books special, just doesn't happen.

3,5/5

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I understand that, and I admit GTF doesn't have the best ending scene ever, even though I completely loved it. I mean, all the rest of the story shadowed the ending for me, which I liked, though was not all fantastic. :) THANK YOU for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh!Thank you Raila, you're so sweet :):)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails