Thursday, July 8, 2010

READING : The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart.

Have you ever read a book that is taking you forever to finish but you don't really care because you don't want it to ever end anyway?Well, Iron King was exactly like that.To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of fey stories, mostly because I haven't read many of them and probably don't know what I'm missing.That is why I was so hesitant to read TIK and why I finally picked it up after all this time, praying silently that it wouldn't be another disappointing book.

It wasn't,of course.I completely adored TIK!It's a magically(pun intended!)beautiful fairy tale with wonderful characters and a lovely story!How can it be disappointing?
I liked Meghan's character a lot.She was strong, brave, independent and most of all so caring of others.A female lead that was very easy to respect and admire and a joy to read,as well.But TIK is not all about Meghan.There are so many characters appearing in this book, Grimalkin(I so love you, you weird cat!), Ash(swoon!),Puck,Virus,Narissa,kings,queens,dryads,trolls,gremlins,rat packs(so so cute!) to name a few, all of them very important to the story and not just useless shadows of the leads, and that basically has to do with Kagawa's story.So many things happen all the time, my mind didn't  have any time to rest or wander, the story grabbing me,not letting me think of anything else apart from what was happening right there and then.That's why I finished this book in four days and I thought I was reading it for months!That's a positive thing, of course.I can't think of a better compliment for a book than "I couldn't for the life of me,put it down!" That's what I felt when reading TIK from the beginning to end.I liked the way Kagawa took Midsummer Night's Dream premise and made it her own but most of all,I loved the idea that progress,technology and logic are slowly stripping us from our imagination and dreams, something which will eventually lead to our demise.

The Iron King is an unbelievably addicting novel, one that I guarantee you will never get bored of and will, in the end, love it with all your heart.Highly recommended!


5/5

post signature

6 comments:

  1. I loved it too!!!

    You should read the free novella before reading The Iron Daughter, called Winter's Passage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I didn't know I was supposed to read Winter's Passage before TID!!!I thought it was after!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite new series of the year! Great reveiw (here from Read my Review)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent review! I loved this book and the sequel, The Iron Daughter. Team Ash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review. It took me a bit to get into this one actually because I got bogged down at the beginning, and like you I had never been the biggest fan of fae stories. But once I got into it, I flew through it. It really changed my mind about that paranormal aspect. I agree too, Ash is swoonworthy!

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to read these books! I love how you say that it took you a long time to read the book, but you didn't care because you didn't want it to win anyway - I've felt like that lots of times :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails