Tuesday, February 1, 2011

READING: Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton


Publication date: February 22nd, 2011
Published by: Simon Pulse
Source: Simon&Schuster Galley Grab
Rating: 4,5/5
Eligible for Debut Author Challenge 2011

Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.

Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.

Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.
Darkness Becomes Her is an unbelievably original novel that completely won me over!

Granted, Darkness Becomes Her has somewhat of a rocky start.First 40 pages or so.You have to get used to Ari's character, who comes on a little too strong for a 17 year old girl and acclimate to the utterly new, semi-dystopian/futuristic surroundings. DBH takes place in New 2, which actually is the city of New Orleans,  partially rebuild by the Novem(made up of 9 families)after the hurricane Katrina in 2005.So, as you probably have guessed there is a lot to absorb at first.However, as you continue reading you'll quickly find yourself lost in this amazing world Keaton has created!

I loved all the characters in DBH.Brace yourselves, there are a lot, but each and every one of them is memorable because they have their own voice and distinguishable personalities.
Ari is a tough, VERY tough teenage girl.She has survived several foster homes and very bad living conditions. She is determined to find her true origins and nothing will get in her way.Then she meets Sebastian, whom she likes instantly. Now you know I am not a fan of the 2 minutes head over heels thing.Fortunately, Ari wasn't either!I loved how she constantly chastised herself for falling for a stranger so quickly.She knows it's not "natural" to like someone she barely knows and she is not afraid to say it.That made me admire Ari and made her feelings towards Sebastian all the more believable to me.That and her abhorrence to snakes(I can completely relate!), had me practically adoring her by the end of the book!

As for the story...where do I begin?Vampires, warlocks, shifters, harpies, mythical monsters, vengeful Greek goddesses, all of them part of a unique and imaginative story you will not want to end!Add to that a shocking revelation towards the end, and you have yourself a book that you just don't wanna miss!
Recommended. 
post signature

5 comments:

  1. I'd seen this book around but I had no idea what it was about. I'd love to read it now, it sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a copy of this through Simon and Schuster's Galley Grab program, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. Glad you enjoyed it! Originality is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I really need to read my copy before it expires. The characters sound awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear you enjoyed this one agapi, I can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this one too, but I was slightly dissapointed that I figured out who she was during the first couple chapters, so it took a little of the 'wow didn't see that coming' out of the ending..lol Still it was good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails