Thursday, February 17, 2011

READING: Demonglass(Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Publication date: March 1st, 2011
Published by: Hyperion Books CH
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4,5/5
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?
Having loved Hex Hall, I admit I was expecting a lot from its long-anticipated sequel, Demonglass. I am here to tell you that Demonglass did not only meet my expectations but it most certainly exceeded them!

Demonglass doesn't pick up exactly where Hex Hall left off, but some time after the life-threatening events that took place in HH. That gave Sophie, the protagonist, plenty of time to evolve and we are witnesses of that from the very first page. She admits so herself, explaining that when she first arrived in Hecate she wouldn't do this or that but now she does, because the things that happened to her changed her and the way she sees things. And how could they not? Having a bunch of classmates of yours hurt or worse, killed!, and the boy you have a huge crush on turn on you, is not exactly the most pleasant situation to be in.

Along with Sophie, we get to meet new characters like Sophie's dad, James, who I found interesting and contrary to popular belief, very likeable. I liked his and Sophie's relationship, which practically had to start from scratch, seeing that he was absent from her life all these years.
There was also Nick and Rosy: semi couple and semi nuts! Oh and did I mention demons? Yeah, that too! Funny and lethal, equals awesomeness!
And of course, let's not forget Archer, the smug, hottie warlock and Sophie's crush in HH. Yes, we get to see him again, you crazy Sophie-Archer shippers! Get ready for some serious swooning because let me tell you, he is even more amazing than he was in HH! Impossible, I know! Trust me though, by the end of the book, you might just find yourselves torn between Archer and a certain someone, so things might not be as clear-cut as you think...

Of course, all of that could not be even remotely possible without Hawkins's ah-mazing, awesome, writing! I mean, her sense of humor alone is brilliant. She had me practically laughing out loud at certain points, which for me is a rare commodity. Seriously, who wouldn't love a vampire pony??
Story is told in just the right pace, not too long: full of detail and yawn-worthy, not too short: hey, what's a pink dragon doing in the yard? Did it say something about a pink dragon before and I missed it?Shoot! No, none of that. Everything's working like clockwork in Demonglass and that is what makes it such a great book, I suppose.

Oh Rachel, why do you have to be such a tease?? Yep, you guessed right! DG ends with a ginormous cliffhanger, which will only leave you with the very strong urge to pester and annoy the hell out of Rachel to write even faster, because you would desperately want to read HH3.
*whispers* Write faster, Rachel! :)

Until then though, I am sure you will absolutely love Demonglass. An 100% worthy sequel to Hex Hall, highly recommended!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. I'm envious that you've gotten to read Demonglass already (I loved Hex Hall), but I'm really glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved Hex Hall and I plan on reading this one soon. I keep hearing things about another love interest and it's making me nervous-I love Archer! :/

    Excited to read it, though. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Briana Don't worry, Archer is still number 1!In my heart, at least :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails