Tuesday, May 17, 2011

READING : Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Publication date: April 12th, 2011
Published by: Feiwel & Friends
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating: 5/5
Eligible for Debut Author Challenge 2011
New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters—or Freaks—who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight, in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. As the two are guided by Fade’s long-ago memories, they face dangers, and feelings, unlike any they’ve ever known.

I am really really lucky with my dystopians so far this year! Enclave was my 4th and I absolutely loved it!

Ann Aguirre has created an amazing, post-apocalyptic world. Everything is constructed perfectly in Enclave. From the smallest thing to the most important one, everything was thought out to perfection. 
I think the idea of the name ceremony was brilliant. Also the distinction between Breeders and Hunters and how the latter are more honorable than the Breeders(it could be men or women)who are regarded as second class citizens, is not very far from what our world was like only a few decades ago(ahem, maybe even now). Actually, their life in the tunnels is in fact a small replica of the world above. Nothing changes, even after a holocaust.

I know a lot of people had a problem with the zombie situation. Pft, so what if it had zombies? Would you rather have humans as the bad guys?
Oh, wait.They were the bad guys.
I loved how Aguirre managed to make despicable gang members (human) look much worse than flesh eating creatures (zombies). It just got you thinking that it was people like that and their actions that led to this catastrophe. Frankly, I was more scared of the human scum than the zombies. At least zombie's actions are driven from pure "animal" instinct. Humans have a conscience. So, no comparison. 

Characters were amazing! They managed to develop in 260 pages more than I even thought possible. Deuce was pretty cool when she was in the tunnels but it was when she went Topside that I absolutely loved her! Her reaction to even the simplest of things like the sun and the rain, left me feeling amazed and so sad for her wasted years in the filth and sickness of the tunnels. Her connection with Fade was incredible, as was Fade himself. Stalker(weird name, right?) was such an interesting character and I think the most developed of the bunch. I really hope we get to see more of him in Razorland #2.

I don't want to reveal a lot about the story(even though I really want to!). I'll let you explore the awesomeness of Enclave all by yourselves! Amazing YA debut by Aguirre and definitely a dystopian gem!
Read it!

Enclave may only be 260 pages, but don't let that fool you! It's densely written so there are a lot of stuff to absorb. That doesn't mean you will be able to put it down even for a minute, because trust me.You won't!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't it amazing???!! I loved it! I agree - when Deuce went topside my emotions were all of the place right with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaa, I have this one on my shelf as I HAD to buy it. I love Ann Aguirres books and this one sounds amazing as well. :) Thank you for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails