Thursday, May 5, 2011

READING: Rules Of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Rules Of Attraction by Simone Elkeles

Publication date: January 6th, 2011
Published by: Walker&Company (US) Simon&Schuster (UK)
Genre: Contemporary Romance, YA
Rating: 5/5
When Carlos Fuentes returns to America after living in Mexico for a year, he doesn’t want any part of the life his older brother, Alex, has laid out for him at a high school in Colorado . Carlos likes living his life on the edge and wants to carve his own path—just like Alex did. Then he meets Kiara Westford. She doesn’t talk much and is completely intimidated by Carlos’ wild ways. As they get to know one another, Carlos assumes Kiara thinks she’s too good for him, and refuses to admit that she might be getting to him. But he soon realizes that being himself is exactly what Kiara needs right now.
Yeah, yeah.I know! The fact that I haven't read Rules Of Attraction until now should probably be considered a crime. I think I was secretly terrified that there was no way it could top Perfect Chemistry which was perfection itself. ROA may have not surpassed PC in awesomeness, but it did succeed to shine because of Simone's unquestionable golden touch!


The Fuentes brothers will be the end of me, I'm telling you! I loved Carlos!!!Well, maybe not as much as Alex, but I loved him nonetheless. I think Carlos was completely different than his brother. You may think it's the same deal at first, gang member, tough and all that, but no. Alex was sweeter somehow, "softer". Carlos, oh my God, was tough as nails! He cursed, he talked back to everyone and never gave in. I secretly liked him acting like a total jerk sometimes (yeah, I'm crazy) and that was what I think drew Kiara to him, too. Well, at least partly. She liked that he was the total opposite of her, that he completed her. I liked Kiara very much, as well. Always controlled and composed, but also determined and fearless when she set her mind on something. Even though she seems a bit reserved at first, you soon find out that she has an awesome sense of humor and that mischievous glint in her eye when she's up to no good.  You may think "opposites attract" is a worn out cliche, but cliches are cliches for a reason. Carlos and Kiara couldn't be more different and more in love. Don't confuse them with Alex and Brit though, because they are nothing alike.


What I think would make this book as perfect as PC was if the romance started a bit sooner. More than halfway through, sure we had tons of sexual tension and innuendos but always through bickering and fighting, not through real loving emotions from either of them. It was only in the last 100 pages that we see them finally admit that they love each other. And got the iconic car scene to go with it, which was undoubtedly a bonus. I wanted more romantic scenes, that's what I mean. Just a tad.


After reading Perfect Chemistry I trust Simone Elkeles completely and I know whatever she writes or will write in the future, is a guaranteed gem. Rules Of Attraction was no exception. You shouldn't call yourself contemporary romance - fans if you haven't read Simone Elkeles's books. It's magic!


The 2nd companion novel to Perfect Chemistry, Chain Reaction, comes out by Walker Books For Young Children, August 16th 2011! It was supposed to come out May 24th but I have no idea what happened there.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this, but it sounds great and I am glad to see you enjoyed it. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with everything you said. I loved PC more too and you're right - things took a tad too long but still great.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails