Friday, October 7, 2011

READING: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Published by: Harlequin
Publication date: October 25th, 2011
Genre: YA Fantasy, Faeries
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 4/5
My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn'darkmyr Tallyn.
I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her.

My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…


I love the Iron Fey series and when Iron Knight was announced I was more than thrilled to read it. Who cares if Kagawa initially said she'd write a trilogy and then changed her mind? Did she do it for money? Well, duh. That's her job and she gets paid for it. If she did it for free would people stop having problems with the 4th book all of a sudden? Geez, some of you need to seriously lighten up.

So, Iron Knight.
Iron Knight is an adventure book through and through. Ash, Puck, Grimalkin along with some unexpected additions, travel to the End Of The World where Ash will forego a number of trials in order to become human and return to the Iron Kingdom and live with Meghan until the end of his days. Now when I say adventure, you have to realise that I mean the whole package: magic, sword fighting, quests -the whole nine. IK is a pure,100% fantasy-faery novel. Which added to the fact that the book was quite long, got a bit tiring at times. Also reading about 4 guys on a fantasy adventure-quest, felt like I was a 13 year old boy with light sabers hanging over my bed and tons of sci-fi DVD box sets on my shelves. Nothing wrong with that, other than I am a 29 year old woman :)
Anyway, I'm sure I'm overreacting. It's just that the book was long and it gives you the impression that the quest along with the guys' testosterone levels, goes on and on and on. Also Ash, you know I love you but sometimes your emo-ness is off the charts, even for you babe.

World building was awesome as always. The places Ash and the gang had to travel through in order to get to the End Of The World, the new characters, the final trials, everything was very well thought out and fell in to place nicely. Which goes to show that Kagawa didn't leave anything to chance and Iron Knight was NOT another way for her to earn money(like that's a bad thing!) I specifically loved the flash-forward chapter. It was so creepy, it added a gothic touch to the fantasy and I liked that a lot.

I was pretty contempt with how Iron Queen ended, I wouldn't mind if there was no book 4. But it was heartily welcome, as will every book that Kagawa writes from here on. Those of you who are HEA suckers, you will absolutely love the Iron Knight!

*This book has been given to me by NetGalley free of charge 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. lol - Love that review......I haven't picked up the series yet but I'm interested in Ash.
    So is this book the last one? I've been waiting for the series to be over so I could read them all at once. My days of waiting a year between books is over.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's over. It was basically over with the 3d book but Kagawa wanted to give her fans an Ash book and some closure as far as his character is concerned.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails