Tuesday, June 1, 2010

READING : Evernight by Claudia Gray

Bianca wants to escape. She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in. Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.


I had such high hopes for this book, heard so much praising about it,but unfortunately, it fell a bit short for me.

The world that is described in Evernight is pretty much the same as in all the books of this genre:vampires exist, humans are completely unaware, and there's a private school somewhere in there.

As far as the romance goes,it was not believable at all,I'm afraid.I am not a fan of the soulmates-in-two-seconds thing, and this book did not only fail to change my mind, but if anything, it strengthened my opinion.Mostly because I think Bianca was an obnoxious little brat.Yes, I really do.And it saddens me to say it, because at the beginning I thought I could so relate to her.She describes how difficult it is to be an "outcast" and how painful it is to be shy and introvert.But later on I caught myself,jaw dropped,saying "Is she for real?".Just off the top of my head:the abrupt and snobby way she wanted to get rid of Vic so she could stay with Lucas,"I don't really want him tagging along", even though Vic is a sweetheart throughout the whole book.Also when Lucas went and bought her that expensive brooch, she was ecstatic that her boyfriend is wealthy because, like she said, "All boyfriends should turn out to be secretly wealthy."And the way she so easily ditched her parents for a day and spend the night with her boyfriend in another city without even thinking that they'd be sick with worry.Correct me if I'm wrong but this is not the thoughts and actions of a shy,outsider teenager.The way I see it, she's no better than Courtney or Patrice.She as much superficial and spoiled as they are.Or maybe it's been years since I myself was a teenager and I have completely forgotten how it feels to be one.Thing is,maybe some teenage girls will relate to Bianca,see themselves in her,but I find it very difficult that any girl over 20, will.

However, unbelievable twists and stunning revelations is Evernight 's strongest characteristic.I have to admit, I never saw anything that went on this book coming, and to say that after reading sooo many books of this genre, it has got to say something!

So, plot wise it was very good.If you can find a way while reading to even remotely stand Bianca, then I totally recommend Evernight :)


3/5

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with the idea that there is an obvious over-population of boarding school/vampire/romance books out there that they all seem to blend together.
    I think that this might be a book that I would check out of the library over buying it.
    Great review! I love when reviews are not all praising and are instead very real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment and your honesty.You know, very rarely do I write a bad review.But when I started this blog I said to myself "Self, you are gonna write reviews in a way that resembles how you discuss with your friends about books". I'm always keeping that in mind when reviewing and I hope it's working.It's what I am constantly saying : you just CAN'T love every single book you read.It's impossible.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails