Monday, June 14, 2010

READING : Heartless by Sara Shepard

Heartless by Sara Shepard


Publication date: January 19th, 2010
Published by: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5
First Emily, Aria, Hanna and Spencer claimed they found a dead body in the woods behind Spencer's house, only to have it vanish without a trace.Then, when the same woods went up in flames, they swore they saw someone who's supposed to be dead rise from the ashes.And even after all that, the pretty little liars are still playing with fire.Call me heartless, but it's about time someone shut these liars up for good.After all, nobody likes a girl who cries wolf-least of all me...~A.

Heartless, being  the penultimate installment in the PLL series, places us one step away from the end,from the big revelation of Ali's killer and A's identity.

Overall, it was a great book.However, I didn't enjoy it like the previous two because I felt there was always something happening that annoyed me and I ended up rolling my eyes a lot.Things like Aria's new boyfriend.I thought Shepard played the younger boyfriend card once with Hanna and Mike, which I also didn't like.But in Heartless she does it again with Aria and a secret someone who she never liked and now she suddenly does.It felt very weird,sudden and not believable at all.Also the situation with Spencer's family,too far fetched in my opinion.It was a big secret to keep for so long and I'd like it if something was mentioned about it in the previous books and not just dumb this huge bomb out of the blue,especially when we're one book away from the end.

That being said,there were some aspects of the book I really liked. In Heartless,Shepard tried something different.She "split" the girls up,so each one can have her individual story and her own theory of what happened to Ali.So basically, there were four different stories from which the girls learned precious information about Ali and the mystery surrounding her death making their own conclusions,each completely different from the other and more believable than the other.It's sounds chaotic and it is a little bit.You end up learning so many crucial things but you still can't figure it out and it drives you insane!I loved that!
Most of all, I loved Emily's story.Don't get me wrong,I still don't like Emily's character.Especially in Heartless she whines endlessly about how giving herself to Isaac proved to be an awful mistake because he was a jerk and now she regrets it all.Well, he is not a jerk, you just have an inferiority complex and you had fun with a guy you claimed you loved.I don't think it's something to cry and obsess over.However, I liked her story in this book because it was something I never saw coming and I hope Shepard will put it to good use in the end and that it was not all for nothing.

A great book, not amazing, but great nonetheless, Heartless leaves you buzzing ,preparing you for the much anticipated and shocking finale.

One useful tip : Another person gets murdered by the end of the book.Wanna guess who it is? :)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails