Sunday, September 5, 2010

READING : Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Publication date:
Published by: HarperCollins
Source: Bought
Rating: 3,5/5
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High - from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last. Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death - and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Sam is a very popular high school girl.She and her posse rule the school and decide who's cool and who isn't, what's in and what's out.Before I Fall describes a day in Sam's life.Well actually 7 days, which is in fact one.You see, everything is not all roses is Sam's life after all, and she has to relive the last day of her life again and again to finally realise it.

You'd think that one day being described 7 times would be a complete drag. Thankfully, that is not the case with Before I Fall.With the exception of maybe day 3 and 4, all the others are as exciting and amazing as the first.The writing is so detailed and thorough, it makes you feel like you are  Sam's best friend, you end up knowing her so well!If you think you'll get bored of the same things happening over and over, don't be.There is always something different and shocking happening every day in Sam's weird loop.That part of the book I did enjoy, this very unique idea and how Oliver embraced it and eventually delivered a great story.

The part I didn't enjoy was the characters. I did not much care for Sam  at all throughout the whole book, much less for her best friends, who I personally despised. I hate it when popular students pick on the less popular ones and how they always get away with it, one way or another.I expected something completely different here, since this is supposed to be a book about personal growth and redemption.So, you imagine that I was not at all happy when in day 7, when you think that Sam has it all figured out and that it finally dawns on her that she has to change who she is and become a better person, a more caring and loving person, she just basically says something along the lines of "Well, you know, the strongest always prey on the weak, that's just the way it always has been." Nuh-uh!Come on, no way I can ever accept this, let alone like it!When people do something objectively wrong, IT IS wrong in any way you look at it.You cannot sugarcoat it "blaming" it on someone's character and saying "Well, what can you do?That's just like her, she can't change."You changed!!Why can't other people?Forgive me for the rant but I have zero tolerance for things like that and this definitely earned one of the hugest and meanest eye rolls when I was reading it!
Also, the ending was not as redeeming and fulfilling as I  expected/wanted it to be and a bit anticlimactic, to be honest.

All in all, I can admit that I enjoyed reading Before I Fall, but honestly, I am not exactly fawning over it.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails