Tuesday, September 14, 2010

READING : Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel

Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel

Publication date: August 3d, 2010
Published by: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Bought
Rating: 3,5/5

"Throughout all my histories, I found no one I loved more than you...no one."Those were some of Rhode's last words to me. The last time he would pronounce his love. The last time I would see his face.It was the first time in 592 years I could take a breath. Lay in the sun. Taste.Rhode sacrificed himself so I, Lenah Beaudonte, could be human again. So I could stop the blood lust.I never expected to fall in love with someone else that wasn't Rhode.But Justin was...daring. Exciting. More beautiful than I could dream.I never expected to be sixteen again...then again, I never expected my past to come back and haunt me.


Arghhhhh!I cry in frustration because I so wanted to love this book. but alas!I couldn't!Not that it was a bad book, but I was expecting so much more going in the second half,which unfortunately I found disappointing.

The story is about Lenah, a 500 year old powerful vampire queen, who has given up everything to become human again.When she does, she is just a 15 year old girl again, rediscovering the world and falling in love.
I was intrigued by the premise of the book right from the start.I liked this new take on vampires,who are practically killing machines.They can't feel anything, they have no sense of touch or smell and of course no soul, no remorse, no guilt.They ease the pain of eternity by killing ruthlessly, something they excel at.I loved the flashbacks to 15th and 19th century,as deep down I am a sucker for historical vampire stories.So far so good: the first half of the book went by without my even noticing and I was so excited to read the rest of the book.

And that's when the book went south for me.I felt that the second half dragged on for far too long, recycling the same information over and over.The part where Lenah was transferred back to England was absolutely useless,in my opinion, since the whole thing could happen right there at Whickham, without us having to adjust to new surroundings and then readjust to Whickham after a couple of chapters.
I didn't feel any chemistry or connection between Lenah and Justin, whatsoever.I would much prefer it if  Rhode continued to have a part, he seemed like a very interesting character, or if she ended up with Tony.Million unmistakable sparks there, which Maizel didn't take advantage of.Lenah was an OK female lead, but nothing too interesting.Also the ending....what happened there?How is the series going to continue after that?I would very much like to see!

All in all, Infinite Days was a decent enough debut novel and the writing was not bad at all.I just wish the story and the romance were not so sloppy and that Maizel had given them a little bit more thought.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails