Wednesday, November 3, 2010

READING : Ghost Town by Rachel Caine

Ghost Town by Rachel Caine

Published by: NAL
Publication date: October 26th,2010
Source: Bought
Rating: 4/5
The fragile peace between humans and vampires in Morganville is in trouble, and when Claire takes drastic action, she's put under serious pressure to re-establish the barriers that keep the town residents inside, and wipe the memories of those who leave. But working with her half-crazy vampire boss Myrnin means that things don't always turn out as planned ... and as the people of Morganville begin acting strangely, Claire and her friends must solve the mystery and try to put things right. But one by one, her allies are turning on her ... even the ones she trusts most.
First and foremost: I absolutely love the Morganville series. I know I have probably said this tons of times, but I really really do!Rachel Caine's writing is phenomenally good and the world she has created,amazing!However, I always try to be objective, even when I write about books that are very close to my heart,like the Morganville Vampire Books are.

Phew!Since we got this out of the way,let's talk Ghost Town!
I liked this book very much.Unfortunately, it didn't blow my mind like some of its predecessors,although it definitely had the potential to do so,but I liked it nonetheless.

I don't see the point in commenting on Caine's writing.It has always been exceptional throughout the series and Ghost Town is no exception.She is one of my favourite YA writers and that will never change,whether I end up liking her books or not.

However, I do feel the need to write about the story and the characters a little bit.When the amazing story line of Bishop and his arrival in Morganville ended in Carpe Corpus, I was afraid there would not be another story line as addictive and intriguing as that and I was partially right.Fade Out and Kiss Of Death were kind of stand-alones,with a story that didn't live up to the awesomeness of the previous books,in my opinion.Fortunately, Ghost Town was not like that.The story behind it was incredibly heartbreaking, to say the least,and something I honestly didn't see coming!And when I was about to say "Great.We found our arc and it's awesome!" it ends.Just like that.Why? :( I wanted to see more of it on the next book,for sure!I thought it was a great story and it should have been developed more.Also, I felt that the book dragged a little bit at the beginning and that it took you a while to get to the main story, probably because Ghost Town is considerably longer than the previous Morganville books.Other than that, I have no other objections about its story development.

As for the characters...what can I say?I find it's very rare to read about characters that are so unique and  so real!Vampires and supernatural entities aside, Claire,Shane,Eve and Michael and the relationship they have with each other are completely believable, a group of people that anyone could possibly meet at some point in their lives.It's incredible when you feel you can relate to someone who just staked a vampire!Their reactions,their behaviour,their attitudes, remain 100% human,even when they have to deal with all the craziness that goes on in Morganville.And that's what I love most about the series and consequently, about Caine's writing.I won't dwell into each character separately(Oh,Myrnin!Only one of my best characters in YA), they are all incredible and nobody is the lead's shadow.There is no lead,basically.Each and every one of the characters is nicely developed and they all have a very important part to play in the plot.

I tried not to include anything spoilery in my review(it's too hard,you guys!) so maybe you won't find it very enlightening.But.All you need to know is that Ghost Town is a very good installment in the Morganville series and if you haven't picked up the series yet, you-and I cannot stress this enough-DEFINITELY should!!!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Hey I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I just started a similar blog and would love for you to come and check it out! my blog is selfbooks.blogspot.com
    Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails