Thursday, November 11, 2010

READING : Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Publication date: June 16th, 2009
Published by: HarperCollins
Source: Gift
Rating: 3/5
Since the dawn of time, the Faerie have taken....

For seventeen-year-old actress Kelley Winslow, faeries are just something from childhood stories. Then she meets Sonny Flannery, whose steel-gray eyes mask an equally steely determination to protect her.

Sonny guards the Samhain Gate, which connects the mortal realm with the Faerie's enchanted, dangerous Otherworld. Usually kept shut by order of icy King Auberon, the Gate stands open but once a year.

This year, as the time approaches when the Samhain Gate will swing wide and nightmarish Fae will fight their way into an unsuspecting human world, something different is happening... something wondrous and strange. And Kelley's eyes are opening not just to the Faerie that surround her but to the heritage that awaits her.

Now Kelley must navigate deadly Faerie treachery—and her growing feelings for Sonny—in this dazzling page-turner filled with luminous romance.
When I started this book, I read the first half in one sitting, thinking that this will certainly be one of my new favourites.Then the rest of the book happened which unfortunately changed my mind completely.

When someone, you for example, are in your teens and think that someone is following you, stalking you to be precise and is very dangerous, what do you do?Run, mace him, hit him with a preferably heavy and sharp object.You surely don't engage into casual conversation with him!
Also, when this said dangerous stranger tells you you're adopted, how come the first thing you do is call your aunt and tell her "I am adopted,aren't I?"
And my all time favourite: when someone tells you that you are the fairy King's daughter, you surely don't go "Oh yeah?Ugh,bummer.So what do you want for breakfast?"
Yes, all these happened you guys!Maybe I am exaggerating a little bit(I really don't) and I know that this is a fairy tale, fiction,but come on!The line has to be drawn somewhere!The ease with which everyone took the most incredible and full of crazy news, was annoying to say the least and it made it very difficult for me to take the rest of the book seriously.

I was not convinced by Kelley and Sonny's romance at all!There was no transitional phase between Sonny being dangerous and stalkerish to being gorgeous and basically the love of her life.She just went from fearing him to adoring him in like seconds, and with no apparent reason.There was just no chemistry between them, whatsoever.

For someone who doesn't read too much into everything like I do, Wondrous Strange could potentially be a fine read.Unfortunately, I don't think I will remember reading this book after a couple of months.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! I totally agree -- I have huge problems with stalker books, where everyone seems to act completely out of character. I'm sorry the first ha lf sucked you in so much, and the second didn't, though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right??It sucks when this happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice honest review, sorry to hear that you didn't like it so much. I liked it and I guess I don't read so much into it as you did. I also liked the second one and can't wait for number three. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails