Thursday, November 18, 2010

READING : The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa


Publication date: February 1st, 2011
Published by: Harlequin Teen
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 5/5
My name is Meaghan Chase.

I thought it was over.That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stay by my side. Drag me into the core of a conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.
Why is it so difficult to write reviews for books I love??My finger is stuck on the backspace button, immediately erasing every word I dare put down.They all seem insufficient somehow, redundant. I am afraid, this is also the case with Iron Queen because Julie Kagawa's world has left me speechless once again!

Iron Queen picks up where the Iron Daughter left off.Meghan and Ash have been exiled from the Nevernever but when the forces of the false Iron King threaten to destroy both Summer and Winter court, Oberon and Mab ask for their help to destroy the Iron Fey once and for all.

Julie Kagawa's writing is simply amazing!Apart from the captivating descriptions of the fascinating world of Tir Na Nog and the fey, the characters she's created and the way they were developed throughout the whole series, is really unique.

Iron Queen is a book dedicated to Meghan.Of course, it has many other characters in it and all play their part, but I believe that IQ is about Meghan and her growth from IK till now.How from a normal teenager,part of a normal family, she ended up yielding swords and fighting to protect the existence of the fairies.This book I feel is the end of her adventure, of her journey to find herself and her destiny.
Always with her, Ash, the love of her life.Ash has also matured a lot through all this.The story he tells Meghan of what he used to do to mortal girls and of his total disregard for mortals in general, is disturbing to say the least!And to come from that,an emotionally  detached and cruel being to this loving and caring person, willing to risk and sacrifice everything for the people he loves, is incredible.And all that because he fell in love with Meghan.Meghan is the common denominator of every character changing and growing in the book.Oberon, Mab, Puck, Ash, even Grim and Iron Horse changed because of Meghan and the way she chose to interact with each and everyone of them.
Meghan is the indisputable protagonist of IQ.And that is totally fine by me, since she is a very likeable character.But personally, I don't think it's her likeableness that drew me to her and the other characters, consequently making me like these books so much.It's because I feel for her,I care about what happens to her, to her family to her friends.My eyes well up with tears when something terrible is happening and I instantly feel calm and at ease when everyone is happy.I know you are going "Hello?That's the whole point!" and I agree.But please try and remember which books really made you feel that way about its characters.After finishing IQ I gave it some thought and I found the number of these books disappointingly small,so I try to appreciate and treasure the ones that make me feel that way.So a huuuuge thanks goes out to Julie for writing these beautiful books and for making me believe in the power of good story telling!

I know my review is very sloppy, I try not to reveal anything about the plot and that's why I talk about everything else but.

Besides, the only thing that you really need to know is that Iron Queen is an awesome, awesome book and so is the entire Iron Fey series.If you haven't read it yet, you are most definitely missing out!
Can't wait for The Iron Knight, the 4th installment in the Iron Fey series!

post signature

3 comments:

  1. It wasn't a sloppy review and thanks for no spoilers!
    I find it hard to write reviews for the books that I adore too. It's hard to not give away spoilers or to not sit there and and just go !!!!!!! through the whole thing.

    I wish that this series was longer as well. At least we are getting a 4th book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job reviewing this book. You expressed your opinions nicely. I just reviewed your review. 5 STARS! ;-)

    We are reading the same books...must be netgalley right? Iron Queen then AngelFire lol. Can I link this reviews to mine? I would love for my readers to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Casse, you're sweet :)
    What do you mean "link this review to yours" ?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails