Friday, May 4, 2018

READING: Cut & Run (Cut & Run #1) by Abigail Roux and Madeleine Urban


Publication date: September 30 2008
Published by: Dreamspinner Press
Genre: MMAdult, Romance, Contemporary, Suspense, Crime
Rating: 

A series of murders in New York City has stymied the police and FBI alike, and they suspect the culprit is a single killer sending an indecipherable message. But when the two federal agents assigned to the investigation are taken out, the FBI takes a more personal interest in the case.

Special Agent Ty Grady is pulled out of undercover work after his case blows up in his face. He's cocky, abrasive, and indisputably the best at what he does. But when he's paired with Special Agent Zane Garrett, it's hate at first sight. Garrett is the perfect image of an agent: serious, sober, and focused, which makes their partnership a classic cliche: total opposites, good cop-bad cop, the odd couple. They both know immediately that their partnership will pose more of an obstacle than the lack of evidence left by the murderer.

Practically before their special assignment starts, the murderer strikes again this time at them. Now on the run, trying to track down a man who has focused on killing his pursuers, Grady and Garrett will have to figure out how to work together before they become two more notches in the murderer's knife.



3d read (Nov 12 2018)
Who would have thought I'd read this one twice in two months?? Definitely not me!
I'm so glad I did though, because third time was definitely the charm.

Reading C&R in paperback was an entirely different experience. Even though I re read it back in September on my Kindle and I didn't really like it, reading it now I realised I didn't remember a few very important things, entire discussions between Ty and Zane forgotten, like the one they had at the apartment at Greenwich for example. Isn't that odd? It's like I was reading this book for the first time wondering how the hell did I miss whole chunks of the story the first two times?? Ty and Zane's connection was way more real and intimate this time and when they had to split, I felt their pain and heartbreak. Even Ty, who I thought was a real dick the first 2 reads, now I found him sad and quite somber, even more so than Zane.

I don't know how to describe it, it was very peculiar reading C&R for the third time in paperback. Maybe now that I have finished all 9 books, it dawned on me that there will never be any new books and I didn't want to let go just yet. Maybe, having read 9 books, makes re reading C&R more emotional but also more comprehensible, I don't know.

For those of you who didn't really like C&R after the first time but ended up liking the series (very big possibility I'm the only one) please give this one another chance. Make sure to get it in paperback and really pay attention to every little detail. I guarantee it'll surprise you!

2nd read (Sep 13 2018)
Slightly worse the second time around. Ty and Zane's connection was not as strong as I remembered and I kinda hated Ty. He was terrible to Zane, using him to let out all his frustration from being closeted, even coming across as homophobic at times. He was an asshole, plain and simple. I still loved Zane, even though I found him a lot sadder this time.
The writing was very bad and editing was non existent.
I keep waiting for this:

"I absolutely do still plan to re-write, re-edit, and re-release the Cut & Run series books[...] As for what I intend to do to them, they will most certainly receive a proper Riptide edit. The POV shifts in the first book will be resolved, and I think we can all agree that's both necessary and a serious challenge. So the first book will look quite different."

That was from 2 years ago, and I am now resigned to the fact that it will never happen :(
 

1st read (May 4 2018)


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails