Sunday, May 9, 2010

READING : Fade Out by Rachel Caine

Fade Out by Rachel Caine

Published by: Signet
Publication date: November 3d, 2009
Source: Bought
Rating: 3,5/5

Without the evil vampire Bishop ruling over the town of Morganville, the resident vampires have made major concessions to the human population. With their newfound freedoms, Claire Danvers and her friends are almost starting to feel comfortable again. 

Now Claire can actually concentrate on her studies, and her friend Eve joins the local theatre company. But when one of Eve's castmates goes missing after starting work on a short documentary, Eve suspects the worst. Claire and Eve soon realize that this film project, whose subjectis the vampires themselves, is a whole lot bigger - and way more dangerous - than anyone suspected.


I really hate to say this, but I was a tiny bit disappointed by Fade Out. Honestly, I was really worried about the story in this book, seeing that the battle with Bishop ended in Carpe Corpus, and all was right with Morganville again.I knew of course that peace in Morganville can never be, so I was expecting another great story to replace that of Bishop's.And that's where the book kinda fell short, in my opinion.

Reading the Morganville books up until Fade Out, you get not only amazing and multi-dimensional characters, but also a story so gripping and compelling that you cannot, for any reason,put the book down.I cannot possibly say that these aspects that make a Morganville vampire book so good, were not part of Fade Out,as well.Only, they were not at the level I was used to, that of excellence.It's understandable, though,after the end of a three-book intense arc story, for the plot not to be as exciting and the characters not to be as developed.One of the stories,Ada's,even though it had a lot of potential, it didn't work out in the end.I liked Kim's story, the whole exposition concept was great, but its resolution was simple and quick.However I believe that despite the book's flaws, and because Rachel Caine IS Rachel Caine and she will always be brilliant, Amelie's scene in the cemetery is the best scene in all Morganville books.Genious!
Overall, a good book but not get very high hopes.I blame it on Rachel Caine:she has spoiled me with her amazing writing and now I can't settle for anything but perfection!

*This one is without a cliff hanger,as well.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you hate when that happens- when a piece or a book in a series deflate the flow of a great plot!

    Are you planning to keep with the series or was Fade Out a breaking point?

    Thanks for coming by my IMM post!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I'll go on reading books from the series, no question about it!!They 're awesome!Fade Out was not bad, but not great.According to my personal opinion of course.Even if Kiss Of Death, which I am now reading, turns out to be less than great as well, I'll still keep on reading,because I believe in Caine and her brilliant writing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails